Patio Cover vs Pergola: Which Option Is Best?
It’s time to get some of those home improvement projects done that you’ve been putting off over the winter and spring. One of the things that you’ve been wanting to do is to create a nice, shady area where you can sit and enjoy the summer beautiful Idaho weather. The problem is, you’re not exactly sure how to go about it. You’ve heard of patio covers and pergolas, but which one is the right choice for you? Before you can make that choice, it’s important to understand the differences between the two as well as the benefits they offer.
What Is a Patio Cover?
Simply put, a patio cover is a roof structure that is attached to a home or garage. They are held up by posts on the side that’s not attached to the structure. They are often covered in the same roofing material as the home so that they blend in. However, some patio covers have an open lattice roof rather than a solid surface. A patio cover can be installed over your existing deck or patio area to create a space that you and your family will love to spend time in.
Benefits of a Patio Cover
A patio cover is a great addition to your home for aesthetic reasons, plus it offers several benefits you may not even realize.
- Provides an area for people to gather protected from the sun and rain.
- Helps keep snow from piling up right next to your house so there’s a little less shoveling to do.
- Extends the living space of a home by creating more usable outdoor space.
- Shades windows and doors to help keep the inside cooler, saving money on energy costs.
- Offers the option to add lights, ceiling fans, audio and video equipment, and other electronic devices.
- Adds value to your home. In fact, you can expect 100% or more return on your investment.
What Is a Pergola?
A Pergola is a freestanding structure, often placed in a garden or area of the yard that is used for entertainment. They provide shade as well as a place to grow climbing plants and vines. Most pergolas are either square or rectangular in shape and have an open slat style roof that allows filtered sunlight as well as rain to get through. It’s a sophisticated, yet charming way to create a custom space that accents your home and compliments your landscaping.
Benefits of a Pergola
When it comes to outdoor home improvement projects, pergolas are quite popular. It’s no wonder since they also offer a number of benefits that homeowner’s like you can reap immediately and in the future.
- A pergola adds a shady spot that you, your family, and your guests can enjoy.
- A pergola is a stylish addition to a blossoming garden, especially when vines grow on it.
- You can use a pergola as an outdoor room that’s separate from the rest of the yard.
- Installing a canopy can increase the usefulness of the pergola by making it rainproof as well as providing sun protection.
- A pergola adds value to your home. Expect at least 50% and as high as 80% return on investment.
Which One Is Best, a Patio Cover or a Pergola?
Now that you know the difference between a patio cover and a pergola, you’re faced with the tough decision of which one is best. The answer really does depend upon your home, what you’re hoping to accomplish, and the space that you have available. We know that it’s not an easy choice to make, but Patio Covers of Idaho is here to help. Contact us today if you have any questions, or request a free, no-obligation estimate today and together we’ll create the outdoor space of your dreams.